Hidden dangers for your pets this Christmas.

Holiday times are full of joy and laughter, having get-togethers with friends and family.

Don’t spoil your Christmas with an expensive trip to the veterinarian.

Note: If your pet has consumed a dangerous item, or is acting abnormally, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Here are some dangers that can ruin a holiday:

Most people know that the bones from your chicken and turkey are not good for pets.  The cooked bones can splinter and then perforate the intestines, which will require surgery, and if not done quickly, then mostly likely end in the death of the dog or cat.

Most people consume more alcohol and chocolate at this time of the year.  Overindulgence in either can make people sick, but even a small amount of alcohol or chocolate can be deadly to pets.   Small dogs can die by ingesting one chocolate bar.  Alcohol poisoning is a very real danger to our furry companions.

Unbaked dough when eaten ferments and produces gas and alcohol. This can twist the stomach, a potentially fatal condition.

That nutmeg you decorate your eggnog with can cause seizures, even death.

>

Sage in the stuffing can induce vomiting.

Macadamia nuts and any mouldy nut can cause lethargy and loss of muscle control.

Coffee and caffeinated drinks like pop can cause elevated heart rate, seizures and death.

Holly, mistletoe and poinsettias are all toxic if ingested.

Tinsel, although not toxic, can bunch and twist in the intestines.

Strings of lights if bitten or chewed will cause electric shock.

Be sure to make your holidays safe for both you and your pet.

 

If your pet has consumed a dangerous item, contact your veterinarian immediately.